Harris Hill Elementary

Together We Make Learning A Way Of Life

Harris Hill 50th Anniversary Logo
 
 
Shortly after the arrival of Asa Harris, in 1810, and the establishment of his history making tavern on the Buffalo Road (Main Street), a small one-room school house was built. Its location stood west of Harris Tavern and to the rear 100 feet.

The "three R's" were taught, quill pens being the only tools.

In 1817 the parcel of land called District NO. #2 (Harris Hill), was acquired by the Clarence Town Board to cover the area from Transit Road to Shimerville Road, north and south of Buffalo Road, by two tier lots.

In 1870, a larger building was erected on Harris Hill Road on the site of our old brick building. Copy books a metallic pencils came into use.

By 1926, a new red brick school was erected. It has space for four classrooms. The school census changed from 86 pupils in 1926 to 279 in 1946 at which time a temporary annex was added to the school.

When the schools in Clarence centralized in 1946 the Harris Hill Elementary School became a part of the Clarence Central School District.

In May, 1950 the voters of the Clarence Central School District, selected the 16-acre Harris Hill site upon which the Harris Hill School is located.

The school opened in September 1954 with an enrollment of 540 children in kindergarten through grade six. The building had a U-shaped design with offices, cafeteria, and gym/auditorium in front, and two wings with classrooms extending to the rear. The east wing contained the health room and primary classrooms. The west wing contained the library, music room, art room, and intermediate classrooms.

The design of the building won an "Award of Merit" for elementary school design from the Buffalo/WNY Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1953.

Since its opening in 1954 Harris Hill has functioned as an elementary school and celebrated its 60th birthday during the 2014-15 school year.  We will also be recognizing the 25th Anniversary of our HEROES Program.  Mr. Scott Gretch, the school art teacher, has redesigned the school logo in celebration of the 60th Anniversary.

Harris Hill's 60th Anniversary Logo
CLOSE